Building Blocks of Success - Why You Should Never Miss Training or Meetings

Building Blocks of Success - Why You Should Never Miss Training or Meetings

When you're ambitious and fighting your way to success, you need to demonstrate that you're committed, dedicated and serious about what you do. Nothing can be done in half measures. If you skip a meeting because you think it's "unnecessary", or training because you don't think it has "value", then what will your superiors come to think of you? You might think little of it, but your action will mean a great deal to them.

Here are the best reasons I can give you, as an educator myself, for never skipping a beat when it comes to these sessions. It's all about seeing a bigger picture:

1. You mustshow your commitment

When you're ambitious and fighting your way to success, you need to demonstrate that you're committed, dedicated and serious about what you do. Nothing can be done in half measures. If you skip a meeting because you think it's "unnecessary", or training because you don't think it has "value", then what will your superiors come to think of you? You might think little of it, but your action will mean a great deal to them.

2. You'll never miss an important detail

Even if we prove that 99 percent of what is said during a meeting or training session is unimportant, that still leaves 1 percent of something that might prove crucial to know. The biggest mistakes we make in our professional lives are often rooted in a tiny detail that has been overlooked.

3. You can stay current with your industry

Making yourself valuable in your organization or field means becoming an "authority". You don't become an authority by skipping training sessions and meetings. Every scrap of information you can gather; every insight small or large that you can garner has value in your "authority" stock. With each attendance, you grow in value and professional wisdom, you become increasingly indispensable.

4. They help pave the way for your advancement

You should think of all the meetings and training sessions you attend as paving stones in a long road ahead. Each paving stone takes you one step closer to your goal of advancement. When your superiors see you positively attending training and meetings, you show yourself as a diligent team player. Those good impressions build up until finally, when it comes to deciding who to advance, you place your own name right on top of the list.

See the big picture:

It's easy to look at meetings and training sessions as individual blocks of time, and filtering out the "unnecessary" ones is a good way to save time and focus attention on what you want. The problem, however, is that you're ignoring the bigger picture. While each individual meeting might not be very important, together as a mass they create a powerful impact. Proper attendance will raise your knowledge level, allow you to interact and collaborate with colleagues, create the right impression with superiors and steadily mold yourself into the kind of person everyone considers ripe for advancement. Take my advice, friends, and see every meeting and training session as a unique and powerful opportunity.